Unfortunately, the role of science in sport is often synonymous with doping, such is the nature of international elite sport these days. Growing skepticism, discontent and controversy cast a shadow of elite performance, particularly in the Tour de France, which is scrutinized like no other event.
We've tried to cover doping in sport as comprehensively as possible. Below are some of the articles we've featured in the past year, both news-related doping stories, and some insights into the physiology of drugs - how they work, and how much they work?
- The allegation: Landis' sensational admission of guilt and implication of others
- Beyond a simple explanation of doping
- Cycling's Catch 22 situation and edging the passport forward
- Interview with Yorck Olaf Schumacher on the biological passport system
- Success = doping? Is doping synonymous with success?
- The 2009 Tour of California: Dopers take centre-stage and anti-doping's struggle